What is Freemasonry and How to Join
WHAT IS FREEMASONRY?
Freemasonry is the one of the world's oldest non-religious, non-political, fraternal and charitable organisations.
Our values are based on integrity, kindness, honesty and fairness.
There are over 200,000 Freemasons meeting in more than 7,000 Masonic lodges throughout England and Wales. In Leicestershire and Rutland there are nearly 3,000 Members meeting in 76 lodges.
WHO CAN JOIN?
• Male and at least 21 years old. There are special circumstances where those aged 18 years and above, such as University students, can join.
• Belief in a higher power. All religions are welcome & respected.
WHY DO PEOPLE JOIN FREEMASONRY?
• Like any membership organisation, there are many different, and personal, motivations for becoming a Freemason.
• One of the key reasons cited is camaraderie; Freemasonry provides a unique environment for people from all backgrounds to make lasting friendships, learn skills, achieve their potential and, above all, have fun.
• What is more, the organisation provides a valuable forum for discussion between members in an open environment, helping to build trust.
• Freemasonry also provides a valuable a framework around which members can make a positive contribution to society and can also provide structure to people's lives, helping them to be the best they possibly can.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Membership subscriptions are comparable with other clubs and societies.
HOW OFTEN DO LODGES MEET?
Most lodges meet between 4 and 8 times a year.
WANT TO JOIN?
We always welcome new members who live, work or study in the Leicestershire and Rutland area. You don't have to be invited to join.
WHERE ARE THERE LODGES?
There are lodges in the following towns in Leicestershire and Rutland:
• Ashby de la Zouch
• Market Harborough
• Melton Mowbray
HOW TO BECOME A FREEMASON
Contrary to many popular urban myths and misconceptions you do not have to wait for a discrete ‘tap on the shoulder’ from an existing Freemason to join. Indeed the responsibility is on a potential candidate to ask about joining. This can be made in a number of ways:
• If you already know someone to be a Freemason talk to them.
• Identifying a Lodge you are interested in joining and contacting them.
• Finding your local Provincial Grand Lodge and asking them for help in joining.
• Whatever you are most comfortable with we would be happy to hear from you.
If you are interested in joining The Framland Hundred Lodge No. 9453 please visit our Contact Page
If you would like to contact the Leicestershire and Rutland Provincial Office please visit: http://pglleics.org.uk or email firstname.lastname@example.org
300th ANNIVERSARY OF FREEMASONRY
During 2017, Freemasons will be celebrating 300 years of organised Freemasonry.
• This anniversary marks the Tercentenary of the formation of the first Grand Lodge of Freemasons in the world.
• On 24th June 1717 four London Lodges, which had existed for some time, came together at the Goose and Gridiron Tavern in St Paul's Churchyard and declared themselves a Grand Lodge. This Grand Lodge ultimately became the United Grand Lodge of England in 1813 when it joined together with a rival Grand Lodge which was set up in 1751.
• The Province of Leicestershire and Rutland will be holding several events during 2017 to celebrate this milestone.
PROVINCIAL GRAND LODGE OF LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND
• If you would like to find out more then please contact the Provincial Grand Secretary, Kelvin Johnson at:
Freemasons' Hall, 80 London Road, Leicester LE2 0RA
Tel: 0116 254 5325